Alternative Energy Option
This option is available within the Environmental Sciences major at the following location:
The Alternative Energy option draws from a variety of disciplines that offer courses in energy-related topics. Students in this option will be well-informed about energy alternatives for work in urban and regional planning, city government, NGOs promoting energy alternatives to fossil fuels sources, power companies working with the public, policy-making in the energy field, and law school with an aim toward environmental law.
Option Code: 842
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate a rigorous cross-disciplinary base across the biological, physical, and social sciences.
- Articulate connections between multiple components of human and natural systems, including implications for land, air, water, climate, energy, food, biodiversity, and human health.
- Investigate and diagnose interdisciplinary, multi-stakeholder environmental issues to propose solutions.
- Apply the analysis of data to an environmental problem.
- Reflect on how identity, including one’s own, affects the perception of issues and the practice of environmental science.
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences in writing, speech, and in graphic forms.
|Select a minimum of 9 credits from the following courses:||9|
|ENERGY TECHNOLOGY AND SOCIAL CHANGE|
|INTERNATIONAL ENERGY POLITICS AND POLICY|
|US ENERGY POLICY|
|Select a minimum of 18 credits from the following courses or additional core courses:||18|
|*ENVIRONMENTAL ECONOMICS AND POLICY|
|ENERGY IN CULTURAL PERSPECTIVE|
|*ENVIRONMENTAL LAW, SUSTAINABILITY AND BUSINESS|
|ECONOMICS OF TRADITIONAL AND RENEWABLE ENERGY|
|*MINERALS, ENERGY, WATER, AND THE ENVIRONMENT|
|*SUSTAINABILITY FOR THE COMMON GOOD|
|*SOCIETAL ASPECTS OF NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY|
|*ENERGY, CLIMATE AND SOCIETY|
|*THE POLITICS OF CLIMATE CHANGE|
|INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL POLITICS AND POLICY|
|RENEWABLE ENERGY POLICY|
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)
Writing Intensive Course (WIC)
Option Code: 842