INTO Oregon State University
Bob Gilmour, Executive Director, INTO OSU
Julianna Betjemann, Director of Student Experience, INTO OSU
Shain Panzeri, Director of International Admissions and Academic Support, INTO OSU
Elena Sapp, Director of Academic Programs, INTO OSU
Oregon State University offers academic Pathway and English language training programs through the INTO OSU Center. Personalized support tailored to international students’ educational, social and cultural needs prepares them to progress with confidence as degree-seeking students. INTO OSU provides international students with learning experiences and services that promote academic, professional and personal success.
INTO established its first partnership in the U.S. at Oregon State University in 2008. Located in the new International Living-Learning Center, INTO OSU offers outstanding academic programs, technology-assisted learning, a welcoming, interconnected community of students from across the U.S. and the world, strong student support programs and state-of-the-art facilities. The innovative Pathway and English language programs offered at the INTO OSU Center are delivered by highly qualified OSU teaching faculty. INTO OSU also provides a breadth of academic preparation and support services designed specifically to meet the unique needs of its international students.
The International Living-Learning Center opened in September 2011 and is the home for INTO Oregon State University. This state-of-the-art building offers a world-class student experience where international and domestic students live and learn together in the heart of the OSU campus. This building includes residential accommodations for more than 300 international and domestic students, 26 classrooms, a large and spacious auditorium, computer labs, a café, market and comfortable open spaces where students can socialize.
The INTO OSU Student Services team provides a range of co-curricular programs and services promoting social, personal and academic well being. Upon arrival at OSU, the team helps students settle in to life in Corvallis, provide social opportunities and a variety of resources tailored to the specific needs of international students. Whether it’s a question about making an appointment with a doctor, finding a place to live, renewing your visa or anything else, there will always be someone available to help you.
International Student Orientation
Orientation involves a variety of important events that prepare students to be successful at OSU, including information about maintaining your visa status, registering for OSU classes, health requirements and insurance coverage. Attendance at International Student Orientation is required of all international students, both direct and INTO OSU.
Other important activities during orientation include: opening an OSU email account, getting an OSU ID card, learning about OSU community expectations and taking a tour of the campus. It’s also a great time to make new international and American friends and attend the many social events planned on campus.
Visa and Immigration Support
Upon arrival, the university’s Office of International Services (OIS) office, in conjunction with the INTO OSU Student Services team, will provide information, support and guidance on maintaining your immigration status while you are in the U.S. These can include questions about renewing a student visa, making sure your I-20 or DS-2019 status is always current, bringing your dependents, employment, traveling and more. During your program, in conjunction with the INTO OSU Academic Support and Finance teams, they will support you through your program and issue any documentation you may need to support your visa status. Students can come in for walk-in hours, or make individual appointments with an International Student Adviser or Sponsored Student Adviser at the Office of International Services (OIS). In addition, workshops are held throughout the year on topics such as employment, scholarships and travel.
OSU Office of International Admissions
The OSU Office of International Admissions is housed in the INTO OSU Center. The Office of International Admissions works closely with prospective international students from inquiry to admission for a variety of programs including: Academic English, Pathway Programs (Undergraduate and Graduate), Undergraduate, Post-Baccalaureate, Professional (MBA, PharmD, and DVM), and Non-degree Exchange Students. All other graduate programs (Master’s and PhD) are served by the Graduate School. Visit the Office of International Admissions online.
Oregon State University and INTO Oregon State University are proud to offer a wide variety of scholarships for exceptional international students. Scholarships are available to undergraduate students, graduate students and Pathway students alike. For more information about these exciting scholarship opportunities, please visit the Office of International Admissions. Scholarships are available to undergraduate students, graduate students and Pathway and English language students.
Undergraduate Pathway and Undergraduate Transfer Program (UTP)
These programs combine intensive language study, academic skills development and academic course work in a carefully constructed program designed to prepare students for rigorous OSU degree programs.
The UTP offers customized programs for students who have earned university credits and wish to apply them towards their OSU degree. UTP students receive additional academic, language and cultural support to help be successful at OSU.
The Undergraduate Pathway program and UTP are designed for students who:
- Want to study for an undergraduate degree in the U.S.
- Need to improve their English language skills
- May have lower GPAs than required of direct-entry students
- Desire additional academic, language, and cultural support in order to succeed during their first year at a U.S. university
- Apply previously earned university credit towards graduation at OSU (UTP only)
The Undergraduate Pathway and UTP programs are for students who want to take the fast-track to success. Students receive the highest level of support during their transition abroad, making it an ideal choice for international students who are driven to achieve high academic goals.
Undergraduate Pathway and UTP programs are available in:
- Computer Science
- Natural Resources and Renewable Materials
- Food Science and Technology
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Public Policy
- Women and Gender Studies
- Design, Apparel and Merchandising Management
Four types of Undergraduate and UTP programs are available:
- 1-term Accelerated Pathway and UTP: This program is composed of one term of Pathway programming which counts toward the student's undergraduate degree.
- 2-term Accelerated Pathway and UTP: This program is composed of two terms of Pathway programming which count toward the student's undergraduate degree.
- 3-term Standard Pathway and UTP: Leads students through their first year and upon completion of all progression requirements, students will move on to their degree-seeking program as a second-year sophomore.
- 4-term Comprehensive Pathway and UTP: Offers an intensive language curriculum for students to start their first year of study, allowing students to progress to their degree program. After successfully completing progression requirements, students will move on to their degree-seeking program as a second-year sophomore.
Undergraduate Pathway and UTP Core Academic Courses
The Undergraduate Pathway program and UTP are comprised of OSU credit-earning courses in math, science and writing. From the first day of classes, INTO OSU Pathway and UTP students study alongside domestic students in many of the same courses.
For more information please visit INTO OSU.
Graduate Pathway Program
The innovative Graduate Pathway program provides international students a direct path to various graduate degrees at the university. Upon successful completion of the program, students are guaranteed progression to a graduate degree program through a curriculum consisting of graduate credit courses that apply to the OSU degree program. The program provides academic, language and cultural support in order to succeed at Oregon State University.
Direct admission to the Graduate School and respective department-based graduate programs at Oregon State University is highly competitive with only the best and most prepared students being selected. Many students who meet all the minimum entry requirements are not admitted because of the highly competitive nature of the programs.
The Graduate Pathway program is designed for international students who:
- Choose to demonstrate their admissibility to an OSU degree seeking program through Graduate Pathway performance in OSU graduate level courses in a specific area of study
- Fall short of meeting the minimum GPA or test score requirements
- Need further English development
- Any or all of the above
Graduate Pathway Programs are available in:
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Business (MSB)
- Chemical Engineering (MEng)
- Organic Chemistry (MS)
- Civil Engineering (MEng)
- Comparative Health Sciences (MS/PhD)
- Computer Science (MEng)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (MEng)
- Environmental Engineering (MEng)
- Environmental Sciences (PSM)
- Industrial Engineering (MEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (MEng)
- Biostatics (MPH)
- Global Health (MPH)
- Health Promotion and Health Behavior (MPH)
- Materials Chemistry (MS)
- Mathematics (MS)
- Biological and Ecological Engineering (MEng)
Three types of Graduate Pathway Programs are offered:
- 1-term Accelerated Pathway: Minimum 9 graduate credits earned in the program
- 2-term Accelerated Pathway: Minimum 15 graduate credits earned in the program
- 3-term Standard Pathway: Minimum 15 graduate credits earned in the program
Graduate Pathway Core Academic Courses
The academic courses included in the Graduate Pathway programs are carefully chosen to ensure success in graduate-level studies. Students will be advised on which modules to follow during their academic orientation at the INTO OSU Center.
For more information please visit INTO OSU.
The Academic English program at INTO Oregon State University prepares international students for university study in the U.S. The academically rigorous program provides international students with high-quality English language instruction and the academic skills to succeed at OSU through development of:
- Standardized test preparation
- Academic study skills
- Intensive English to prepare for university study
- Academic advising throughout the program
- Small classes of 18-20 students
- Highly-trained and experienced instructors
- Participation in the Conversant Program
- Use of a fully-equipped Learning Center with state-of-the art technology
After finishing this intensive program successful students will be able to:
- Interact comfortably in the U.S. classroom with professors and fellow students
- Understand U.S. values in an academic setting
- Present their spoken and written ideas accurately and effectively in English
- Write research papers with proper use of citations and references
- Use the Internet and OSU library databases to conduct academic research
- Read, understand, and critically evaluate academic texts
- Understand and use vocabulary common to academic disciplines
- Take useful and accurate notes in academic lectures and presentations
- Develop and deliver oral presentations
Study Abroad with INTO OSU
Study Abroad at INTO OSU is designed for students who want one or more terms of study abroad experience at a top US university. The program provides students with a classic American university experience while taking a variety of classes. Students will have access to all the support services available at the university and INTO OSU, including exceptional one-on-one tutoring, social and cultural trips and more.
The length of the Study Abroad program will vary depending on a student’s needs. The program can be customized for different levels of English and for specific academic interests. There are fall, winter, spring and summer start dates available. Additional program and admission information can be found online.
With prior approval from your home university, the academic courses you will study at OSU can be used to gain credits toward your undergraduate degree in your home country. This program is not designed as a route to degree-seeking OSU programs, though your credits may apply to an OSU degree if you seek admission.
This program consists of three parts:
Study Abroad with English (SAWE) Part 1
Students study full-time in the Academic English program. Students have an opportunity to progress to Study Abroad with English Part 2 upon successful completion of Academic English level 4 and meeting internal progression criteria.
Study Abroad with English (SAWE) Part 2
Students are able to select from OSU undergraduate credit bearing courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts and study alongside domestic and international students while continuing to take 6-12 hours of academic English classes. Students have an opportunity to progress to the Visiting International Students Program upon successful completion of Academic English core level 6 courses or ALS 161/ALS 162 and meeting internal progression criteria.
Visiting International Students Program (VISP)
Students can select from a range of OSU credit-bearing courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts. Optional academic English courses are also available.
All OSU undergraduate College of Liberal Arts courses taken through the VISP and SAWE Part 2 program are transferrable with prior approval from the student's home university (except intensive English courses, if selected).
Departmental approval is required for students seeking to register for a course outside the College of Liberal Arts.