Food Quality Option
This option is available within the Bioresource Research major at the following location:
Food quality research includes a broad range of studies involving sensory appeal, convenience, safety, and nutrition of food and beverages. The sensory aspects of food quality emphasize taste, texture, aroma, and appearance. The convenience aspects of food quality include shelf-life, ease of preparation, and improved functional properties. Food safety is concerned with acute and chronic responses of consumers to microorganisms and chemicals that occur naturally or are added to foods. Nutritional aspects of food quality are related to the nutrient content of foods and the role of nutrients in human health. Research in these areas is grounded in the application of basic sciences, including biology, chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, psychology and engineering. Students will acquire skills appropriate for laboratory, industrial, or regulatory positions.
Option Code: 138
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Retain and articulate the fundamental concepts of biosciences and bioresource sciences, and of the physical and mathematical sciences that support these fields.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method by designing an experiment, collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Convey the meaning of research results in written and oral format, to both professionals and the general public.
- Master and discuss the important contemporary issues in the specific discipline of the BRR option and research project.
- Demonstrate professionalism, including critical thinking, a strong work ethic, and the ability to contribute to a team.
|FST 421||FOOD LAW||3|
|FST 422||FOOD CHEMISTRY FUNDAMENTALS||4|
|FST 423||FOOD ANALYSIS||4|
|MB 302||GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY||3|
|Specialization and Breadth Courses|
|Select 14 credits approved by option faculty and research mentor||14|
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)
Writing Intensive Course (WIC)
Option Code: 138