Community Development and Leadership Option
This option is available within the Social Science major at the following location:
This option focuses on the social and cultural dynamics in our communities, how these dynamics impact the development of sustainable communities, and how effective community leadership impacts positive social change. The curriculum includes communication, political science, sociology, and where these fields intersect with the arts and sciences.
Option Code: 279
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate understanding and the value of communication competence in group and interpersonal communication.
- Apply concepts from the social sciences to assess human-ecological systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with critical thinking, analysis of problems, and synthesis of data.
- Communicate and collaborate with multiple audiences of diverse backgrounds and interests. Specifically, be able to write for and talk with both experts and lay persons utilizing multiple approaches.
- Be prepared to pursue further professional or academic endeavors in one’s selected discipline.
|COMM 312||ADVANCED PUBLIC SPEAKING||3|
|or COMM 316||ADVANCED PERSUASION|
|COMM 322||SMALL-GROUP PROBLEM SOLVING||3|
|COMM 323||COMMUNITY DIALOGUE||4|
|COMM 325||COMMUNICATING LEADERSHIP||4|
|or LEAD 342||*TEAM AND ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP|
|COMM 326||INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION||3|
|PS 331||*STATE AND LOCAL POLITICS||4|
|or PS 382||CONSTITUTIONAL LAW: CIVIL LIBERTIES|
|or PS 383||*CONSTITUTIONAL LAW: CIVIL RIGHTS|
|SOC 439||WELFARE AND SOCIAL SERVICES||4|
|or SOC 475||RURAL SOCIOLOGY|
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)
Option Code: 279