This option is offered within the following major(s):
The Customizable option is for students who have well-defined educational goals and career aspirations that do not fit easily within the existing options. The Customizable option allows students to have a transcript-visible program of upper-division courses that are tailored to their particular interests and professional objectives.
To create a customizable option, the student must do the following:
- Define career goals and objectives.
- Articulate a custom option title that briefly encompasses those professional goals.
- Work with the botany advisor to create a program of courses for the option. The course program should meet all of these criteria:
- minimum of 21 credits, at least 15 being upper division
- all program courses must be taken for a grade (no S/U)
- courses may not double count with the BOT degree core requirements except for a WIC course or an “additional quantitative skills” course
- a maximum of 3 credits of experiential learning units may be applied
- up to 9 transfer credits may be applied with advisor approval
- Plan how the courses will be scheduled, so that the option can be completed in a timely way. Remember that some courses are offered on an alternate year basis.
- Write a one-page proposal that describes the career goals and outlines how each course in the program will relate to those goals.
- Fill out a Customizable option form and submit it to your advisor along with your proposal. The advisor will review the plan and either approve it or make recommendations for revision.
- When the plan is approved (signed), the course program needs to be submitted to MyDegrees. The Customizable option courses will appear below the Major Block under “student program of study”.
- The Customizable option plan is locked, but can be modified if necessary, in consultation with your advisor.
Option Code: 931