Nature, Eco, and Adventure Tourism Option
This option is available within the Tourism, Recreation, and Adventure Leadership major at the following location:
Designed for students pursuing careers as managers or owners and guides in outfitter-guide and other natural resource based commercial recreation businesses (i.e., micro-level tourism).
Option Code: 876
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Explain the importance of tourism and recreation in natural settings for achieving societal goals, such as community development, human health and quality of life, and sustainable use of natural resources.
- Identify, analyze, and apply the best available information on science, management practices, and public preferences to address contemporary tourism, recreation, and outdoor leadership opportunities and issues.
- Make tourism, recreation, and outdoor leadership decisions within applicable laws, policies, and regulations and across cultural and national contexts.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences in appropriate formats.
- Work effectively and professionally in groups, both as leaders and followers.
- Understand principles and methods for successful supervision of employees and/or volunteers.
|Freshman Year (15)|
|PAC 110/TRAL 110||INTRODUCTION TO WHITE WATER KAYAKING||2|
|PAC 111/TRAL 111||INTRODUCTION TO CANOEING||2|
|TRAL 115/PAC 115||OUTDOOR LIVING SKILLS||2|
|TRAL 118/PAC 118||LABORATORY FOR OUTDOOR LIVING SKILLS||1|
|TRAL 130||INTRODUCTION TO OUTDOOR AND ADVENTURE PROFESSIONS||3|
|TRAL 132||*FOUNDATIONS AND HISTORY OF OUTDOOR AND ADVENTURE PROFESSIONS||3|
|TRAL 173/PAC 173||INTERMEDIATE ROCK CLIMBING||2|
|Sophomore Year (17)|
|BA 315||ACCOUNTING FOR DECISION MAKING||4|
|ECON 201||*INTRODUCTION TO MICROECONOMICS||4|
|TRAL 215||GROUP FACILITATION||4|
|TRAL 260||INTERMEDIATE PADDLESPORT||2|
|or TRAL 218||ROCK SITE MANAGEMENT|
|TRAL 280||OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP FUNDAMENTALS||3|
|Junior Year (23)|
|BA 260||INTRODUCTION TO ENTREPRENEURSHIP||4|
|BA 352||MANAGING INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM PERFORMANCE||4|
|BA 390||PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING||4|
|TRAL 270||PRE-INTERNSHIP SEMINAR||1|
|TRAL 370||DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT OF OUTDOOR EXPERIENCES||4|
|TRAL 375||^EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION||4|
|Select one certification course from the following:||2|
|ACA LEVEL 2-4 KAYAKING INSTRUCTOR|
|ACA LEVEL 2-4 RAFTING INSTRUCTOR|
|ACA LEVEL 2-4 STAND UP PADDLEBOARD (SUP) INSTRUCTOR|
|ACA LEVEL 2-4 CANOE INSTRUCTOR|
|ACA LEVEL 2-4 SWIFT WATER RESCUE|
|AMGA SINGLE PITCH INSTRUCTOR|
|PMBIA LEVEL 1 MOUNTAIN BIKE INSTRUCTOR|
|INTERMEDIATE MOUNTAIN BIKING|
|PSIA-AASI LEVEL 1 SKI INSTRUCTOR|
|ADVANCED ROCK CLIMBING|
|Senior Year (12)|
|TRAL 476||RISK MANAGEMENT IN TOURISM, RECREATION, AND ADVENTURE LEADERSHIP||3|
|TRAL 479||*NATURE AND THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE||3|
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)
Writing Intensive Course (WIC)
Option Code: 876