Product Design and Manufacturing Option
This option is available within the Mechanical Engineering major at the following location:
The Product Design and Manufacturing Option offers Mechanical Engineering majors an opportunity to concentrate their upper-division coursework in the area of the design and manufacture of engineered products and systems. This transcript-visible degree option prepares students to design and manufacture new, innovative products to meet the needs of consumers and the ability to evaluate designs with respect to performance specifications and requirements, safe operation, economic production, and energy and resource consumption. This option addresses industry demand for mechanical engineers with strong skills in all aspects of realizing products that have value to end-users and/or a market.
Option Code: A004
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusion.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
|ME 414||DESIGN FOR MANUFACTURING||4|
|MFGE 336||PRODUCTION ENGINEERING||4|
|MFGE 337||MATERIALS AND MANUFACTURING PROCESSES||4|
|Select 12 credits from the following courses||12|
|DESIGN OF MECHANISMS|
|APPLIED STRESS ANALYSIS|
|FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF MECHANICAL COMPONENTS|
|STRUCTURE AND MECHANICS LABORATORY|
|SPECIAL TOPICS (Mechanics of Composite Materials)|
|COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING|
|LEAN MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS ENGINEERING|
|COMPUTER CONTROL OF MANUFACTURING PROCESSES|
Option Code: A004