Materials Design and Manufacturing Option
This option is available within the Mechanical Engineering major at the following location:
The Materials Design and Manufacturing Option offers Mechanical Engineering majors an opportunity to concentrate their coursework in the design and manufacture of materials for engineered products and systems. This transcript-visible degree option prepares students with the ability to combine fundamentals of math, physics, and chemistry with engineering principles to develop and manufacture materials systems. Students will gain knowledge in fundamentals relating atomic-to-microscopic-scale phenomena to materials properties and processing, including the design and control of industrially important materials processes. The option addresses industry demand for mechanical engineers with the skills to manipulate the properties of materials to achieve safer, more efficient, and higher performance products.
Option Code: A003
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusion.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
|MATS 322||MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS||4|
|MFGE 336||PRODUCTION ENGINEERING||4|
|MFGE 337||MATERIALS AND MANUFACTURING PROCESSES||4|
|Select 12 credits from the following courses:||12|
|THERMODYNAMICS OF MATERIALS|
|APPLIED STRESS ANALYSIS|
|FRACTURE OF MATERIALS|
|COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING|
|LEAN MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS ENGINEERING|
|COMPUTER CONTROL OF MANUFACTURING PROCESSES|
Option Code: A003