Forest Operations Management Option
This option is available within the Forestry major at the following location:
The forest operations management option focuses on the business and timber harvesting side of forestry. Students learn how to actively manage lands with an eye to economic efficiency, evolving markets and forest policy in order to provide timber and fiber for the nation and the world. The curriculum includes a traditional forestry foundation with courses in forest biology, economics, management and operations; students also earn a business minor that enhances their skills in accounting, finance, business law and organizational behavior. Graduates often become managers in growing timber companies or land managers of commercially-productive public or private lands. They work outside and with others who care about the health of our forests, economy and people.
Option Code: 823
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of forest ecology and silviculture principles to understand how forests and forested watersheds respond to natural disturbances or management activities.
- Develop skills in geospatial analysis, basic surveying, mapping and GIS.
- Demonstrate ability to measure and inventory forest vegetation with precision and accuracy.
- Develop an understanding of forestry investment analysis and be able to evaluate typical financial investments in forestry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the development and execution of strategic, tactical and operational forest plans that support achievement of desired future stand conditions and strategic goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the social and political context of forestry and be able to describe current policies , laws, and regulations governing the management of forest lands.
The Forest Operations Management option requires the completion of business courses that can be taken as a minor if the student adds the business minor.
Grade standards for the pre-major and professional major also apply to the option.
|BA 260||INTRODUCTION TO ENTREPRENEURSHIP 1||4|
|BA 315||ACCOUNTING FOR DECISION MAKING 1||4|
|BA 330||LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS 1||4|
|BA 351||MANAGING ORGANIZATIONS||4|
|BA 390||PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING||4|
|FE 440||FOREST OPERATIONS ANALYSIS||4|
|BA 460 |
or BA 314
|VENTURE MANAGEMENT |
or SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS OPERATIONS
|FE 471||HARVESTING MANAGEMENT||3|
Required for entry into the professional program
Option Code: 823