Health Teaching Option
This option is available within the Education major at the following location:
This option is for students wanting to earn a bachelor’s degree in Education and qualify for an Oregon teaching license to teach health at the middle school (grades 6-9) and/or the high school (grades 9-12) levels.
Health students are encouraged to add a Career and Technical Education (CTE) endorsement in Health Sciences. This endorsement qualifies one to teach specialized career training courses at the secondary level. Students work directly with the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) to meet the CTE requirements to add this endorsement. The CTE is earned with 2,000 working hours in the health industry. Students are encouraged to work in the health industry while enrolled in college. The CTE endorsement will be added to the students' teaching license after graduating from OSU and with approval from ODE and the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
Option Code: 66
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Understand how learners grow and develop, recognizing that patterns of learning and development vary individually within and across the cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical areas, and design and implement developmentally appropriate and challenging learning experiences.
- Understand the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline(s) they teach and create learning experiences that make these aspects of the discipline accessible and meaningful for learners to assure mastery of the content.
- Plans instruction that supports every student in meeting rigorous learning goals by drawing upon knowledge of content areas, curriculum, cross-disciplinary skills, and pedagogy, as well as knowledge of learners and the community context.
- Understand and use multiple methods of assessment to engage learners in their own growth, to monitor learner progress, and to guide the teacher’s and learner’s decision making.
- Practices ongoing reflection and use evidence to continually evaluate their practice, particularly the effects of their choices and actions on others, and adapts their practice/choices accordingly. The teacher candidate will avail professional resources and/or professional development beyond university coursework.
Students must complete the required courses in every content area prior to beginning the Professional Level of the Education UG Major (Double Degree). Most of the required courses in this option will also meet a student's first degree requirements.
Additional option requirements:
- A cumulative 3.0 GPA is preferred for all required courses. Grades below C- are not accepted.
- All required courses must be letter graded (A–F); courses graded on Pass/No Credits (P/N) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis are not accepted.
- Work or volunteer experiences in these standards may be considered in place of coursework.
|Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Prevention|
|Select one course from the following:||3-4|
|DRUGS, SOCIETY, AND BEHAVIOR|
|BRAIN AND BEHAVIOR|
|*INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY|
|SOCIOLOGY OF DRUG USE AND ABUSE|
|Promotion of Health Eating and Physical Activity|
|NUTR 225||GENERAL HUMAN NUTRITION||3|
|or NUTR 240||HUMAN NUTRITION|
|Select a minimum of 3 credits from the following:||3|
Any FCSJ course
Any NUTR course
|Prevention and Control of Disease|
|H 225||*SOCIAL AND INDIVIDUAL HEALTH DETERMINANTS||4|
|H 312||*HIV/AIDS AND STIS IN MODERN SOCIETY||3|
|Promotion of Environmental Health|
|H 320||INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN DISEASE||3|
|or H 333||*GLOBAL PUBLIC HEALTH|
|Select one course from the following:||3-4|
|*HUMAN DIMENSIONS OF CLIMATE CHANGE|
|*SUSTAINABILITY FOR THE COMMON GOOD|
|*POPULATION, CONSUMPTION, AND ENVIRONMENT|
|FOUNDATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH|
|SAFETY AND HEALTH STANDARDS AND LAWS|
|FAMILY VIOLENCE AND NEGLECT|
|Safety and Injury Prevention|
|PAC 105||CPR/FIRST AID||1|
|Select one course from the following:||1-3|
|PSYCHOLOGY OF SPORT AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY|
|SCUBA: RESCUE DIVER|
|ALI: MOUNTAINEERING I|
|ALI: WHITE WATER RESCUE|
|ALI: WILDERNESS FIRST AID|
|ALI: WILDERNESS FIRST RESPONDER|
|Promotion of Personal Health, Growth, and Development|
|Select one course from the following:||4|
|*HUMAN BIOLOGY: ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY AND DISEASE|
|ADVANCED HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY|
Any approved anatomy course
|Promotion of Mental & Emotional Health and Prevention of Suicide|
|Select two courses from the following:||6-7|
|*QUEER OF COLOR CRITIQUES|
|*FAMILIES AND POVERTY|
|*SOCIAL PROBLEMS AND ISSUES|
|SOCIOLOGY OF INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS|
|*CRIMES AND VIOLENCE IN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS|
|Promotion of Sexual Health|
|HDFS 240||*HUMAN SEXUALITY||3|
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)