Counselor Education Graduate Option
This option is available within the Counseling major at the following locations:
- Ecampus (hybrid)
The Counselor Education option offers a PhD degree in Counseling. It is designed to prepare experienced counseling professionals to extend their roles in the counseling profession. A doctoral degree in Counseling is appropriate for those whose career path is that of research and teaching in counselor preparation programs, in student development at a college or university level, or in supervisory or leadership positions in schools or agencies.
Option Code: 2981
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Produce and defend an original significant contribution to knowledge.
- Demonstrate mastery of subject material.
- Conduct scholarly or professional activities in an ethical manner.
- Demonstrate integration of theories and research relevant to counseling.
- Demonstrate theory and research-based knowledge and skills in the practice of supervision.
- Demonstrate instructional and curriculum design, delivery, and evaluation methods relevant to counselor education.
- Demonstrate the ability to design research that is appropriate to quantitative and qualitative research questions.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the theory and skills of leadership in advocating for the profession and professional identity.
A minimum of 150 credits is required beyond the baccalaureate degree to obtain a PhD in Counselor Education. This option includes 42 credits of core courses and 52 credits of thesis, practicum and internship courses.
|COUN 612||RESEARCH PERSPECTIVES IN EDUCATION||3|
|COUN 613||RESEARCH ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION IN EDUCATION||3|
|COUN 616||UNIVERSITY LEVEL INSTRUCTIONAL THEORY AND METHODS||3|
|COUN 617||ADVANCED COUNSELOR SUPERVISION||3|
|COUN 662||COUNSELOR EDUCATION QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS I||3|
|COUN 663||COUNSELOR EDUCATION QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS II||3|
|COUN 664||COUNSELOR EDUCATION QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS III||3|
|COUN 665||PUBLICATION METHODS IN COUNSELOR EDUCATION||3|
|COUN 667||ADVANCED ASSESSMENT IN COUNSELING||3|
|COUN 668||ADVANCED CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND CONSULTATION IN COUNSELING||3|
|COUN 671||ADVANCED GROUP COUNSELING||3|
|COUN 681||ADVANCED DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE IN COUNSELOR EDUCATION||3|
|COUN 696||COUNSELOR EDUCATION||3|
|COUN 697||COUNSELOR SUPERVISION||3|
|Thesis, Practicum and Internship Courses|
|COUN 603||THESIS (repeatable)||36|
|COUN 618||PRACTICUM IN COUNSELING||9|
|COUN 619||INTERNSHIP IN COUNSELING||7|
Option Code: 2981