Public Health Undergraduate Major (BS, HBS)
This major offers the following option(s):
Also available via Ecampus.
Public health is an exciting and diverse field for those interested in the health and well-being of populations and their environments. Careers in the public and private sectors offer opportunities to work locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally to promote health and prevent disease. Recognizing that multiple and complex factors affect the public’s health, our faculty and students examine environmental issues, access to health care services, health policies, and social and contextual factors as determinants of health.
Students in this major will choose one of the following major options:
- Health Management and Policy
- Health Promotion and Health Behavior
Both options provide students with the prerequisites for graduate programs in public health.
For further information about undergraduate programs in public health, visit the website
The College of Public Health and Human Sciences is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Major Code: 239
- Understand the methods by which public health identifies potential causes of population health status, and identifies potential targets for intervention.
- Describe the fundamental roles of public health and how those roles are operationalized in public health organization, funding, workforce, and regulations.
- Demonstrate the importance of public health data in understanding health and disease in populations.
- Explain the foundations of public health.
- Identify environmental health hazards and their potential effects on human health.
- Describe how behavioral factors contribute to specific individual and community outcomes.
- Differentiate the relationship between local, state, and federal public health systems and their roles in the US public health system.
- Effectively communicate public health information in both oral and written forms through a variety of media and to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrate ability to locate, use, evaluate, and synthesize public health information.
|Public Health Core (Both Options)|
|H 100||INTRODUCTION TO PUBLIC HEALTH||4|
|H 206||PROJECTS (take 3 times)||3|
|H 210||*INTRODUCTION TO THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM||3|
|H 220||INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH DATA ANALYSIS||3-4|
|or ST 201||PRINCIPLES OF STATISTICS|
|H 225||*SOCIAL AND INDIVIDUAL HEALTH DETERMINANTS||4|
|H 319||INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH POLICY||3|
|H 320||INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN DISEASE||3|
|H 344||*FOUNDATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH||3|
|H 425||FOUNDATIONS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY||3|
|Total credits required for graduation||180|
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)
Major Code: 239