Global Health Minor
This program is available at the following location:
The minor provides a solid foundation in social determinants of health and prepares students interested in the allied health services and sciences, as well as those primarily focused on public health, to apply principles of health equity, cultural competence and humility, and global thinking. Students learn about the global health processes (e.g. migration, discrimination, and polarization) that shape health outcomes. This program is fully online.
Minor Code: 079
Upon successful completion of the program, students will meet the following learning outcomes:
- Develop interdisciplinary skills necessary in allied health sciences and services.
- Practice principles of community-based research to address social determinants of health.
- Evaluate the importance of community development and policy change for eliminating health disparities.
- Apply health equity and social justice frameworks to critically evaluate global health processes, problems, and dynamics.
This minor is available to all majors at OSU, including Public Health majors with options in Health Promotion & Behavior and Health Management & Policy.1
- Students must have a minimum OSU GPA of 2.0.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade (A-F).
- No more than two attempts at any course or prerequisite are permitted.
- Graduation from the program requires the completion of a minimum of 27 credits: 22 credits from required courses and 5 credits of self-selected electives.
- All CPHHS courses have to be completed with a grade of C- or higher.
|INTRODUCTION TO PUBLIC HEALTH
|INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH DATA ANALYSIS
|*GLOBAL PUBLIC HEALTH
|BE THE CHANGE FOR GLOBAL HEALTH TRANSFORMATION
|PEOPLE ON THE MOVE: MIGRATION AND GLOBAL HEALTH
|GLOBAL POVERTY AND HEALTH DISPARITIES
|Select a combination of the following to complete a minimum 5 credits: 2
|*INTRODUCTION TO THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
|*SOCIAL AND INDIVIDUAL HEALTH DETERMINANTS
|*HIV/AIDS AND STIS IN MODERN SOCIETY
|FOUNDATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
|*GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
|FOUNDATIONS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY
Baccalaureate Core Course (BCC)
Public Health majors will be allowed to minor in Global Health. With the exception of H 100 and H 220, courses taken for the Public Health major will not count towards the Global Health minor. Public Health majors must choose elective courses that are not already counting towards the Public Health major. Students in the Public Health major will be required to consult their advisor and the Global Health Program Director to choose alternative courses
Electives list is not exhaustive. The student may propose to fulfill this requirement by taking alternative courses or engaging in a for-credit study abroad opportunity with a health focus through OSU GO. All students seeking to fulfill elective requirements with a course not listed here must consult their advisor and the Global Health program director
Minor Code: 079