Speech Communication Undergraduate Major (BA, BS, HBA, HBS)
This major offers the following option(s):
Students majoring in Speech Communication must choose between a Communication option and a Theater Arts option. Both options function as stand-alone majors.
The Communication option consists of 48 credits of course work. Students who choose the Communication option will be required to satisfactorily complete an undergraduate prerequisite core before applying (through the School of Arts and Communication) to the major. Students who are working on completing the prerequisite core are placed in the Pre-Communication major (major code 979).
The Theater Arts option consists of 51 credits of course work. Students in theater arts do not need to complete the undergraduate prerequisite core required in the Communication option. The course requirements for students pursuing a Theatre Arts option are held to a minimum with the intention of allowing the student and their faculty advisor to devise a program most suited to the student's specific needs and objectives.
Major Code: 985
- Demonstrate understanding and the value of communication competence in public speaking, argumentation and critical discourse, and interpersonal communication as they pertain to personal and professional activities and contexts.
- Articulate relevant theory and research in the contexts of their practical applications.
- Recognize the social, cultural and historical significance of rhetoric and other communication phenomena.
- Be prepared to pursue further professional or academic endeavors in one’s selected communication discipline.
Students pursuing the bachelor's degree in Speech Communication must successfully complete the following requirements:
- Communication option (48 credits) or Theater Arts option (51 credits);
- College of Liberal Arts Core requirements (15 credits);
- Oregon State University Baccalaureate Core (48 credits);
- Oregon State University requirements for the BA or BS;
- Total credits required for graduation is 180.
Major Code: 985