Innovation, Leadership and Excellence for Oregon and the World
Oregon State University is a community of students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters who aspire to make the world a better place. It is a community defined by innovation, leadership and excellence in academics, research and outreach to serve Oregon, the nation and the world.
With more than 31,000 students, including more than 5,600 students earning their degrees entirely online, Oregon State is the state’s largest university, welcoming a diverse student body from all 36 counties across Oregon, all 50 states and more than 100 countries.
Oregon State is the state’s land grant university and is one of only two universities in the U.S. to have land, sea, space and sun grant designations. As a premier international research university, with a record $336 million in external research funding in 2016, Oregon State’s impact reaches across the state and beyond.
Oregon State’s 2015 strategic plan reaffirms the university’s commitment to the three Signature Areas that draw from disciplines across the university and integrate research, engagement and teaching at both graduate and undergraduate levels:
- Advancing the Science of Sustainable Earth Ecosystems
- Improving Human Health and Wellness
- Promoting Economic Growth and Social Progress
Students Come First
- Oregon State is committed to diversity. Our students come from all walks of life and from all over the world. These students are extraordinarily bright and high-achieving contributors in the classroom and in their communities. Over the past five years, more of Oregon’s high school valedictorians and salutatorians have enrolled at Oregon State than at Oregon’s other public research universities.
- Oregon State offers a full range of strong>scholarships, grants, work-study and loans from federal, state and university sources to help students get the best possible financial aid package.
- OSU Welcome Week begins at fall move-in and includes the first day of classes. This week is filled with events and activities for everyone, including Welcome Week Kick-off and Rec Night, new student convocation, student club events and many other educational and social activities geared toward connecting new students and welcoming returning students back to the university and Corvallis.
- Our First-Year Experience program helps new students transition into university life. A variety of small-group experiences is offered — including U-ENGAGE and first-year experience courses — to connect first-year students to faculty, current Oregon State students and other new students.
- The University Exploratory Studies Program allows students to explore a variety of disciplines before choosing an academic major.
- Our Diversity and Cultural Engagement office, cultural centers and Educational Opportunities Program work with African American, Asian American, Native American and Latino students to ensure that their Oregon State experience is positive.
- Oregon State is the only college or university in the state that offers ROTC programs for all four branches of the military — Air Force, Army, Marines and Navy.
- With more than 400 student organizations, plus club, intramural and Pac-12 Conference sports, students find it easy to keep busy at Oregon State.
Oregon Is Our Campus
- OSU Ecampus, with more than 45 undergraduate and graduate programs and over 1,000 courses, is consistently ranked in the top 10 among online bachelor’s degrees nationwide by U.S. News & World Report and is ranked number one in value by valuecolleges.com.
- The OSU Extension Service has programs, staff and volunteers providing essential services in all 36 Oregon counties.
- Consistently ranked among the top college towns in the nation, Corvallis is a welcoming, vibrant city of 55,000 people, offering a wide range of community, recreation, dining, shopping and cultural opportunities. And the city is just an hour or more from the Oregon Coast, the snow-capped Cascade Range and Portland — Oregon’s largest city.
Oregon State University is a comprehensive, public, internationally recognized research university. As one of only two land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the country (Penn State being the second), OSU offers programs and employs faculty and staff in every county of the state. OSU views the state of Oregon as its campus and works in partnership with all of Oregon’s community colleges and the state’s public and private colleges and universities to serve Oregonians’ educational needs.
As a land grant institution committed to teaching, research, and outreach and engagement, Oregon State University promotes economic, social, cultural and environmental progress for the people of Oregon, the nation and the world. This mission is achieved by producing graduates competitive in the global economy, supporting a continuous search for new knowledge and solutions and maintaining a rigorous focus on academic excellence, particularly in the three Signature Areas: Advancing the Science of Sustainable Earth Ecosystems; Improving Human Health and Wellness; and Promoting Economic Growth and Social Progress.
To best serve the people of Oregon, Oregon State University will be among the Top 10 land grant institutions in America.
- Provide outstanding academic programs that further strengthen performance and pre-eminence in the three Signature Areas of Distinction: Advancing the Science of Sustainable Earth Ecosystems; Improving Human Health and Wellness; and Promoting Economic Growth and Social Progress.
- Provide an excellent teaching and learning environment and achieve student access, persistence and success through graduation and beyond that match the best land grant universities in the country.
- Substantially increase revenues from private fundraising, partnerships, research grants and technology transfers while strengthening our ability to more effectively invest and allocate resources to achieve success.
Accountability. We are committed stewards of the loyalty and good will of our alumni and friends and of the human, fiscal and physical resources entrusted to us.
Diversity. We recognize that diversity and excellence go hand-in-hand, enhancing our teaching, scholarship and service as well as our ability to welcome, respect and interact with other people.
Integrity. We practice honesty, freedom, truth and integrity in all that we do.
Respect. We treat each other with civility, dignity and respect.
Social responsibility. We contribute to society’s intellectual, cultural, spiritual and economic progress and well-being to the maximum possible extent.
The core themes and their objectives were selected to align with the OSU Strategic Plan, the university’s mission and its three fundamental goals. The following core themes were chosen in early 2010:
- Undergraduate education
- Graduate education and research
- Outreach and engagement
Beginning in the fall of 2010, the university has introduced a Core Theme Planning process that will be conducted on an annual cycle and use continuous improvement principles to inform the campus community of how we are fulfilling our mission.
Source: OSU Strategic Plan